Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Slums


Philicia Tucker

At first when we heard that we would be going to the worst slum in Bangkok, all I felt was fear. Fear of crime, rats, having dirt floors, etc. My heart was not right when I should know that I have constantly asked God to challenge me and continually spoken that He was my protector and provider. Thank Jesus that even in my doubt and fear He is faithful and sees beyond the circumstance. When we got to the slums and where we were staying I realized and I think most of us thought the same that it wasn’t that bad. There were no dirt floors and most of us were more annoyed by the rooster in the morning than the rats at night haha. It hit me when Pastor Ruth said welcome to our ministry and thanks for coming. This was a ministry not some way to get over my fear or too see how much I could take. It was not about me. Once again I see that it was about Christ and what He is doing in Thailand. Two things stuck out to me the most. One, the slums translated from Thai is community, which is exactly what these people were. I saw how people gave us the best they could by giving us drinks or taking us around or giving us a place to sit, when they had nothing. They knew each other and looked out for one another. The second to last day I was teaching English with Mott (the guy who lived with us in the slums) and I was moved by how many times he just stopped to say hi to some kids or the older women. As we taught, I could see how much he cared and loved playing with these children. I remembered in the Bible when the women who had a little and gave all that she had to Jesus. Jesus praised and honored her compared to those who gave a lot and giving was not even a burden to them. I understood that these people knew how to be thankful for even the little things. They knew how to love even when they had all the reasons to be selfish. They have given so much and blessed us so much that goes beyond physical gifts. What an honor it is to meet these people and to worship and pray with them. Two, Jesus said to his disciples that to enter the kingdom of heaven you must be like little children and to humble yourself as little children is the same as the greatest in the kingdom of heaven (Mt 18:3-4). I have a better picture now of why God calls us to be like children. I saw how the children of the slums where just as bright as the orphan kids and just as bright as the children from the refugee family. These kids were quick to learn, carefree, and just wanted to be loved. They were not weighed down by their circumstances. God just wants us to allow Him to love us and we need to be trusting in our Father even in the hardest of circumstances. He will give us peace that passes all understanding and a joy that gives us strength. That is what I saw in the children a peace and joy that was not effected by where they lived, what they ate, or what they would do in the future. I want to be like them and we as children of God should be like them. Overall, I am constantly seeing how much God loves these people. It was overwhelming how much wrong and darkness I saw in Thailand, but now I am overwhelmed by how much of God’s love and presence is here. It makes me want to love this place just as much. More I know Him more the more I love Him and those He loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment